Hard drive upgrade season


After having passed all the subjects one of my kids was asking for a hard disk upgrade. He wanted to double his 120GB harddisk. I have written before about tools you can use to get this job done, but I am not wise enough to follow my own advice, so I decided to try new approaches to the problem. I will tell you first what did not work:

I started partitioning the drive using fdisk and formatting the new partition using FAT32. My kid's data was stored on an NTFS partition but I thought FAT32 will be ok. Well ... it wasn't: While I could copy all the data the system refused to boot. Rescue disk and FIXBOOT or FIXMBR did not fix the problem, so I ended up thinking XP is not happy booting a large (240GB) FAT32 partition, so I did a conversion to NTFS using CONVERT.EXE having the new drive as a slave one. Conversion was successful but the booting problem was not going away.

Installing Ubuntu and GRUB in a small partition did not help me getting WinXP to boot, though Ubuntu did boot without a problem. I think the problem may be that a system file is not located where it should be so boot process stops.

It was time to try a new approach (not really new ...), so I resized the Windows primary partition (boot partition has to be a primary one) to the same size the one on the old disk and then I did a dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 which basically created a one-to-one image. It usually takes a long time no matter how full your filesystem is, however this time was 99% full. At 34MB/s it took less than one hour to get the partition copied to the new disk.

This time the copy booted and worked as expected, but my kid was not happy having a larger disk with a same size partition as before. To fix that I booted the system with Knoppix 5.0.1 (as I did before to copy the partition using dd) and I used Gparted program to get the NTFS partition resized to fill up the hard disk available space. Now it's a 240GB NTFS partition which is less than 50% full and my kid will start the process of filling it up with dubious content. Mission accomplished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation