Fighting with computers

Computers are not always friendly.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dead router


Yesterday night my router died on me. Apparently it is no longer coming up after powering it up. Minutes later it seemed that a hardware reset had brought it back to life: It was not true, while DHCP and router lights were working, only a firmware reload web page was available.

After downloading several versions of firmware it became apparent that the damage to the router was beyond the original firmware. Time to buy a new one (or to check with SMC whether a lifetime warranty was included).

However, hours later I came across this news. I know it may sound a bit paranoid on my side but timing was just perfect.

While I wait the new unit to be delivered, I've borrowed an ASUS WL-500G from the lab. I've been told this unit has a lot of potential once you reflash it with new firmware. A couple of cool projects are possible: OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home