Fighting with computers

Computers are not always friendly.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

My laptop's Gutsy meets vodafone

Sunday morning I'd like to be able to join CodeJam round 1. But I'm attending a wedding out of town. I asked for some help and I've borrowed a Huawi e220 UTMS modem from my university.

Just pluging it in did not do the trick though. Ubuntu showed a CD-ROM-like icon on my desktop that contained the device's Windows drivers. I was told to do some dark magic that did the trick for Spanish Vodafone prepaid service:

umount /dev/sr0
rmmod usb-storage
rmmod usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
#now disconnect the modem and reconnect it again
#wait a few seconds
ls -la /dev/ttyUSB*
# three devices should show up
# now fire wvdial

I've created this wvdial.conf file:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99***1#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = user
Dial Command = ATDT
Password = pass
Baud = 460800
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ac.vodafone.es"

It just works great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home