Fighting with computers

Computers are not always friendly.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Merging PDF files


I do love Inkscape program. However, there is one thing it is still missing (it's not the program's fault though), the ability to handle more than one page documents. I recently was producing some drawings at work and I wanted to make a single document package with all the drawings to be emailed to my colleagues.

As I can produce PDF output from Inkscape, I searched for easy ways to merge several PDF files. I do know Adobe's Acrobat can do that, but I was looking for a cheaper alternative. I learned that you can use command-line ghostscript to get this done (provided you have it installed) easily.

gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=outfile.pdf inputfile1.pdf ... inputfileN.pdf

I learned too that it can be done online, in fact there are several sites (mergepdf, joinpdf) you can use.

Though there are certain limitations (encrypted PDF files are a no go), it seems I no longer have to worry about creating multipage PDF easily (of course it will be even easier when Inkscape includes multi-page support).

5 Comments:

  • At 3:47 am, Blogger Melvin James said…

    Excellent article! It's useful. I do know some other PDF Merger, works great either. Seems much easier to combine PDFs.

     
  • At 2:31 pm, Blogger Miguel Sánchez said…

    It's been brought to my attention (thanks Jesus) that PDF tool that comes with OS X Leopard can merge several PDF together too.


    http://macintoshhowto.com/leopard/how-to-merge-pdf-files-with-preview-in-leopard.html

     
  • At 2:35 pm, Blogger Miguel Sánchez said…

    Thanks for the tip, Melvin. I've found interesting things in your blog.

     
  • At 9:20 pm, Anonymous Emanuele said…

    I would suggest you pdftk? :-)

     
  • At 9:29 pm, Blogger Miguel Sánchez said…

    Wow, pdftk looks powerful and easy to use. I'm going to give it a try.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home