Merging PDF files


I do love Inkscape program. However, there is one thing it is still missing (it's not the program's fault though), the ability to handle more than one page documents. I recently was producing some drawings at work and I wanted to make a single document package with all the drawings to be emailed to my colleagues.

As I can produce PDF output from Inkscape, I searched for easy ways to merge several PDF files. I do know Adobe's Acrobat can do that, but I was looking for a cheaper alternative. I learned that you can use command-line ghostscript to get this done (provided you have it installed) easily.

gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=outfile.pdf inputfile1.pdf ... inputfileN.pdf

I learned too that it can be done online, in fact there are several sites (mergepdf, joinpdf) you can use.

Though there are certain limitations (encrypted PDF files are a no go), it seems I no longer have to worry about creating multipage PDF easily (of course it will be even easier when Inkscape includes multi-page support).

Comments

Melvin Deng said…
Excellent article! It's useful. I do know some other PDF Merger, works great either. Seems much easier to combine PDFs.
misan said…
It's been brought to my attention (thanks Jesus) that PDF tool that comes with OS X Leopard can merge several PDF together too.


http://macintoshhowto.com/leopard/how-to-merge-pdf-files-with-preview-in-leopard.html
misan said…
Thanks for the tip, Melvin. I've found interesting things in your blog.
Emanuele said…
I would suggest you pdftk? :-)
misan said…
Wow, pdftk looks powerful and easy to use. I'm going to give it a try.
Unknown said…
A new tool constructed for merging PDF documents doesn’t lag behind. You may combine pdfs online without extra efforts. In the best traditions of our platform, the procedure is self-explanatory and easy in usage. Our user-friendly interface attracts your attention to main moments and step-by-step leads you to the successful result.merge, altomerge, merging PDF documents, combine pdfs online

If you need any information just click here altomergepdf

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation