Thonny with the ESP32

 When I presented to my students the use and features of rshell so they can use it for MicroPython development they were not impressed at all. So I started to look for a Python GUI  that could work well with a ESP32 using MicroPython. I needed a multiplatform solution and then I saw an add on Udemy about an online course by Peter Dalmaris. I saw a sample video about Thonny software where I learned there is  a set of different platforms supported by that tool, as it can be used not only for Python programming on your PC but also on several MicroPython targets, such as the ESP32, which is supported out of the box.


Easy to install and set up, I was sold from minute one, as it makes it easy to have access to the ESP32 filesystem. It can even upload MicroPython to the ESP32 so students do not need to fiddle with command-line esptool.py software. 

I recommend you giving Thonny a go if you are using MicroPython on an ESP32. It even includes a serial plotter function similar to the one found on Arduino IDE. 

I tested Thonny with the STM32F411 Black-pill board and it worked well too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation