Crimpers, crimpers, crimpers, ...

 I happen to have bought a few crimpers over the years. I understand how convenient is to have a trusty connection using a crimper, but I have had trouble shelling out the hefty sum a brand-new required. Being mostly a hobbyist I had a difficult time accepting paying hundreds of dollars for a glorified set of pliers that I would use to make less than fifty contacts a year. 

However, whenever I have had a hint that an affordable tool could do a reasonable job within a budget I have bought a new crimper. Most of the time to get a disappointing result, or a poor one at best. I usually deal with 2.54 mm DuPont and Molex connectors so I have bought SN-28B (actually twice by mistake), TU-190-8, and another one I bought from RS.

The one from RS almost did the trick for DuPont but it crushed the top metal too flat so I needed to use some pliers so I could squeeze it into the plastic part. The two jaws did leave a small space on the side so I reckon the crimp was good but the geometry was off. 

Someone praised SN-28B crimpers and I went for it but they did not work. I went on and, following another clue I found online, I bought the TU-190-8 crimper with did not do the trick for DuPont's but worked ok for Molex's. To make things worse, I did not check that I had one already, and, following another recommendation, I ended up buying a second SN-28B with identical results.

But I wanted to have a tool that could do the job so I could recommend one to my students. So I looked around and I saw two recommendations by different people online. As now I have a good collection for crimpers, I went on and bought just the machined jaws 2549 that turned to work well for both DuPont and Molex connectors. From what I saw online, you can get a 2549 crimper for around $20, so that is within the budget I found reasonable for the occasional user.

I read good comments about the IWIS-3220M crimper too, but this time I am not buying one just for testing it. But I will be glad if a reader can leave a comment (good or bad) about it. 

Unfortunately, the result you get on the DuPont connect has the problem mentioned here though I can live it as it does not prevent me from inserting it properly in the plastic part.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation