Babysitting ChatGPT

 After my initial excitement with chatGPT, I have been trying to use it in the real world. I needed to plan a certain programming task and I was expecting to get it done quickly and easily with the help of AI, but the result has been quite different. 

The first big problem is that code tends to get cut with no warning sign. You get a snippet of code where part of it is missing. Sometimes it is more evident than others and when you mention that in the chat, the machine goes back to produce another snippet that many times is cut again. Not so smart or efficient. The only workaround I have found digging in the OpenAI discourse forum is to report the last line of the output so the machine can continue with (hopefully) the rest of the code. That approach seems to work better as I guess the culprit is the limitation of the maximum length of the output code.

But the next problem is the code generated did not work. Sometimes the reason was quite evident like they are trying to use a data type that does not fit the needs of the object or method it is applied to (like an unhashable type for a dictionary key). Other times, there is not a proper match between the parameters passed to a method. The bottom line is that once you manage to get the complete output created by the AI, something may not work properly.

On the other hand, while you can guide the code creation with your criticism and suggestions, the process ends up being frustrating at times, where you end up running circles and getting this feeling you have a willing but not very sharp helper. 

And of course, all these interactions require time and effort on your side. A time that you are taking away from your own work of actually solving the problem. I felt like I was wasting my time trying to explain to a not-so-bright machine what I wanted to end up with non-working code that now I have to figure out how to fix.

So I think I am going to wait another five years to see if the new AI does significantly better. The current "help" I am getting is not really helping me. After all, I guess these companies are not in the business of helping me for free, but more in the process of getting help from their users of free tools to fine-tune their AI systems. So for now, thanks but no thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation