From Android to iOS

 Against my better judgment, I am moving away from Android and into Apple claws. The fact that Samsung has consistently priced its Galaxy line above almost anyone else is not helping. Not an Apple hater here so I thought I could give the iPhone 13 a try. 

I was not eager to make such a switch as I dreaded moving all the apps to another system and keeping my data in the process. My wife did a while ago and lost all the WhatsApp messages in the process no matter how hard we tried. Meta is mostly the one to blame in my opinion. 

So how was the move? 

In a nutshell, not good. 

I installed the Android app made by Apple to ease the transition. I selected I wanted to move all my data and apps together with WhatsApp messages. The Android and iPhone told me it would take 41 minutes, later just 22 minutes, which lasted several hours. Oddly, the Android transfer seemed to keep working at a slow pace while it looked stuck to 22 minutes on the iPhone side. Frustrated I went to bed. 

The next morning I was pleasantly surprised to find out the Android app claimed the transfer had finished successfully, but it was still stuck at 22 minutes on the iPhone. I thought that perhaps they used some cloud support, but on closer inspection, I learned data transfer happens over a temporary wifi network, so it should be just the two phones and no Internet services. What happened then? I do not know, but I was not pleased.

Should I quit the data transfer on the iPhone side? Well, when doing so I learned that some data had in fact been transferred, and I chose to keep that. Still, I had a brand new phone I was not able to use due to the lengthy and unsuccessful data transfer. Someone should need to improve the transfer system error control. 

After perhaps many more questions about permits for apps I finally completed the initial configuration of the iPhone, and I could see the extent of the data transfer.

What really worked?

The list of apps was successfully transferred and apparently so did my contact list. Even WhatsApp appeared to be working, but it was not showing old messages or all my contacts. It did show many if only some of the groups I belonged to. That spite I went through a lengthy and painful process on the Android side to wait for it to prepare WhatsApp messages to be transmitted. 

Telegram messages, being cloud-based, showed no problem. Yet another reason to move away from WhatsApp. I need help understanding how Meta makes it a so awful user experience.

But the app transfer was merely the list of installed apps on the iPhone as a list of icons with cloud symbols. You'll be asked if you want to install the app the first time you click on them. So I had to install quite a few of them. 

It is still too early to have an opinion about the iPhone itself, but the transition process has been a failure and a source of worry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VFD control with Arduino using RS485 link

How to get sinusoidal s-curve for a stepper motor

Stepper motor step signal timing calculation